What is the Governing Body?
All schools in England have a Governing Body which is responsible for overseeing many of the strategic decisions of the school. A key role is to act as a ‘critical friend’: to support, to challenge, to ask questions, ultimately to represent the school community.
The Governing Body works in close partnership with the head teacher, staff and the local authority. Whilst the head teacher is, of course, responsible for the day to day running of the school, the governors are involved with staffing, curriculum, school buildings and finance. It ensures the school functions well and maintains the proper range of academic and social objectives.
There are 11 Governors:
- 3 Parent Governors – elected by the parent body
- 1 Local Authority Governor – appointed by Brent Council
- 1 Headteacher
- 1 Staff Governors – 1 Staff – elected by the staff*
- 5 Co-opted Governors – appointed by the governing body in order to provide a balance of skills across the governing body.
The standard term of office for a governor is four years. The chair and vice-chair are elected annually for a one year term which normally runs from 1st August to 31st July. *All staff can make nominations and vote whether vacancy is for a teacher or support staff member. Much of the work of the Governing Body is done by committees. The Committees usually meet at least once a term.
The committees are:
Curriculum & Achievement Committee:
- Charlene White (Chair), Anna Gray, Marion Joseph, Jude Towell, Valerie Springer
Finance and Staffing Committee:
- Patrick McLoughlin, Jude Towell, Cara Conway (Chair), Charlene White
- All eligible Governors would be available to serve on panels of three for specific meetings. The Clerk was authorised to call Governors to serve in consultation with the Headteacher and the Chair.
Performance Review Governors
- Patrick McLoughlin, Anna Grey
- Valerie Springer- KS1
- Cara Conway– KS2
- Patrick McLoughlin – Health and Safety
- Anna Gray – Safeguarding
- Charlene White – Pupil Premium, SMSC
- Ms Anna Grey
- Ms Charlene White
Local Authority Governor
- Ms Jude Towell
- Ms Charlene White
- Ms Cara Conway
- Ms Anna Gray
- Ms Marion Joseph
- Fr Patrick McLoughlin
- Ms Valerie Springer
- Mr Amit Jaiswal
If you require a hard copy of policies or any information, please contact school office on 0208 451 6961.